Homeschooling in the Desert...

Welcome to our homeschool! We've been homeschooling since April 2007 - over 3 years now! We have 5 children and we homeschool the 3 youngest. At this time, they are 13, 11, and 10. We're finishing up 8th, 5th, and 4th grades. The purpose of our homeschool blog is to illustrate to our family and friends our chosen lifestyle... what we learn, how we learn, when we learn, etc.
Please feel free to follow along, to ask questions, to comment on our progress!

Sunday, September 2, 2012

It's almost that time...

to start some school around here!

Woot! Woot! 

I think, lol. 

I was finally able to get the The Little Blue House in August for 10 days, preceded by a 4 day trip to Beaver, Utah with some of the kids & friends for the County Fair.  Chicklet and I just got home last Wednesday, and am struggling to find the discipline to get my rear in gear, as far as school is concerned.

Guitar and Survivor have been doing math for 2 weeks, basically.
Chicklet has done some, but not so much as her brothers. 

I am excited to start TruthQuest. 
I sat down one day, before our trip, and made out a broad schedule for school. 
I listed the first 3 or 4 topics from each era (Ren/Ref and Age of Rev) and then wrote down books we are going to read while studying each topic. I ordered some of the other resources for Chicklet and Survivor, such as the Binder Builders and Notebook Pages. We'll see how they enjoy using them. My kids might be a little too old for that, maybe not.

The younger two are doing Math-U-See and Guitar is doing Teaching Textbooks Algebra II. 
I might check out Khan Academy for online drilling. 

We will start Winston Grammar review, and do the intermediate book this year. I think we'll spread it out one lesson for 2 weeks. It's simple, but I am just doing it to reinforce what we did last year, they came so far I don't want them to lose the ground we gained. 

Guitar will be doing lots of reading for Language Arts. I will have him do written and oral narration on his history and books. We are going to spend some time on vocabulary as we will be taking the SATS and ACTs this year. 

Guitar and Survivor will be doing Latin as well. I purchased Latin, the First Year by Henle. I am excited about how it works. I will be spreading the First Year over 2 years though. That's the plan. That can always change, lol.

Well, that's all the blogging for today. I need to get the books out and get organized for Tuesday! 


No comments:

Post a Comment